I have heard of these desks much more just recently.
I recall a few years back seeing pictures of someone well known using one. At the time it seemed odd but now they are becoming popular. So what is a treadmill desk?
- A treadmill desk, walking desk or treadmill workstation is a computer desk that is adapted so that the user walks on a treadmill while performing office tasks. Persons using a treadmill desk seek to change the sedentary lifestyle associated with being an office worker and to integrate gentle exercise into their working day.
Why a Treadmill Desk?
People want treadmill desks to get exercise as they work. With the emphasis on healthy lifestyles, we know that just sitting all day is not good for us. However, if you have an office job you are at that desk all day apart from coffee, lunch or bathroom breaks. Plus depending upon what the job is you may often work longer than the standard hours.
These are ideal when you are working from home and not even getting daily exercise of walking/cycling to work, to the train station, or even from the car park.
So with the need to be healthy, highlighted by the Covid-19 Pandemic and with doctors saying a sedentary lifestyle is not good for posture, weight or general health we have to find ways to move more.
Often people stop work, then go and sit on a sofa to watch TV, more sitting. Definitely not conducive to good health.
Your heart will be healthier because you are getting exercise and not just sitting. It can also help you to live longer.
Sitting too much, with no exercise at all, can lead to obesity which then can bring other health problems such as diabetes and high blood pressure, amongst other things.
The exercise will help you to stay more focused and being upright more will help prevent shoulders, neck and backache.
Being more active can help with stress and mental health issues too.
What about the cost?
They are expensive, treadmills obviously increase the cost quite a bit. But once you have it, a good quality treadmill will last for years.
It’s worth doing your homework first. Some are larger treadmills with more length to them but others are quite compact. As with everything there are bargains to be had if you look around. If you are tall with long legs you will clearly need a longer treadmill than someone like me who is short.
If you already have a standing desk, or one that is adjustable to sit or stand then you are halfway there cost wise.
Here is a selection for you!
Klarfit Workspace Go – Treadmill
From the website:
- TRAINING IN THE OFFICE OR HOME OFFICE: The Capital Sports Workspace Go offers everyone in the office or home office the opportunity to work on their fitness. Get your cardiovascular system, stamina and flexibility going during working hours.
- POWERFUL: Make even more out of your working time: the Klarfit Workspace Go LIght treadmill gives you an effective way to train at work or in the home office. With a power for 350 watts, you can do something for your health during your working day.
- ANTI-SLIP SURFACE: The low speed of the Workspace Go Light treadmill between 0.8-6 km / h prevents excessive exertion and, together with an anti-slip surface, ensures maximum safety while you are walking slowly in the office or home office.
- DISPLAY: Distance covered, elapsed time, speed, calories burned and steps taken can be called up at any time thanks to the clear LCD display. As a result, you can monitor your training values in order to effectively facilitate daily training.
- DESIGN: Another special feature of the Capital Sports Workspace Go treadmill is the Smart Space Concept. With its ultra-flat design and a particularly light weight of only 25kg, it can be stored easily to save space and is also easy to transport.
- Please be advised that this device comes with a licensed EU to UK converter plug attached. Therefore, we will open the package and pre-install it for your convenience prior to shipping.
Check it out HERE!
bigzzia Motorised Treadmill, Under Desk Treadmill
From the website:
- 【MULTI-SPEED & LCD SCREEN】: With speeds ranging from 1 – 10 km/h, the treadmill allows you to adjust the speed by remote control according to your physical condition and your exercise needs. You could easily read some important data like Time, Speed, Calories burned and Distance.
- 【PORTABLE & SLIM】The treadmill lies flat under your standing desk, providing you with the best in office fitness while you work. Because this treadmill only weighs 23.5 kg, it’s substantially more portable than most office exercise equipment. This walking machine fits easily under furniture while not in use.
- 【COMPACT】The sleek design of this slim walking machine is a functional addition to any minimalistic home. It measures at 120 cm x 50 cm x 14 cm, and can hold up to 100 kg.
- 【QUIET MOTOR & ShOCK ABSORPTION SYSTEM】A smooth and ultra-quiet 1.5HP treadmill motor, durable steel frame make up the treadmill’s shock reduction & noise reduction system, less noise make you’re running quiet & comfortable! 5 layer shock-absorbing structure anti-slip anti-static lawn texture belt which tends to provide safe cushioning for your back, joints, knees, ankles, and muscles.
- 【INSTALLATION-FREE DESIGN】The treadmill arrives fully assembled and can be used directly after unboxing! It is easy for moving and storage or stores with wheels. One person can move it freely. NOTE: The carpet will affect the heat dissipation of the treadmill, please do not put the treadmill on the carpet/mat.
Check it out HERE!
Ollieroo Treadmill Desk Attachment
From the website:
- – TREADMILL DESK SETUP: Create a treadmill desk setup to use your laptop, Macbooks, iPads, and tablets while working out and exercising. If you use a laptop or tablet on a regular basis, (Checking on social media, e-mail, researching, data entry, technology-related jobs) then, this is a great way to make walking part of your lifestyle… Making it easy and convenient for indoor walking.
- – Adjustable Height: There is 4 kind of heights for you to choose, you can raise the laptop to eye level
- – PROTECTIVE STOP BLOCK DESIGN: The item comes with a protective stop block design at the bottom of the holder which can prevent the laptop computer ipad or book from slipping off. HOLDER SIZE: 13.5inch width and the length of the item can expand from 21.5 inches to 37.2 inches.
- – More features:The Ollieroo Treadmill Laptop Holder lets you raise your laptop for easier use of the keyboard and screen, rest your phone in the secure phone holder, take advantage of the included mouse pad, and keep your ear buds in the handy side drawer!
- – EASY & QUICK INSTALLATION: Quick and humanized installation process that takes a few minutes, just using the 2 included adjustable Velcro straps to fasten the laptop holder to your treadmill. And it folds in for easy storage and transport.
Check it out HERE!
Under Desk Treadmill
From the website:
- 🌼MULTI-SPEED & LCD SCREEN – With speeds ranging from 1 – 10 km/h, the treadmill allows you to adjust the speed by remote control according to your physical condition and your exercise needs. You could easily read some important data like Time, Speed, Calories burned and Distance.
- 🌼SHOCK ABSORPTION RUNNING BELT & QUIET MOTOR – 5-layer non-slip and shock-absorbing running belt, providing an effective and safe cushion for your knees and muscles for superior running experience. The jogging treadmill base has a high-quality, ultra quiet Motor that lets you walk and work without disturbing others.
- 🌼PORTABLE & SLIM – The treadmill lies flat under your standing desk, providing you with the best in office fitness while you work. Because this treadmill only weighs 21.5 kg, it’s substantially more portable than most office exercise equipment. This walking machine fits easily under furniture while not in use.
- 🌼INSTALLATION-FREE DESIGN- The treadmill arrives fully assembled and can be used directly after unboxing! It is easy for moving and storage or stores with wheels. One person can move it freely. NOTE: The carpet will affect the heat dissipation of the treadmill, please do not put the treadmill on the carpet/mat.
Check it out HERE!
MoMi Foldable Treadmill Walking Pad
From the website:
- 🏃[Foldable Design]The can be folded in half. Through the 2 rollers at the bottom, it can be moved smoothly in /out to/from the limited space under the desk, sofa or bed, etc.
- 🏃[Free-Installation, Two Modes of Operation] Plus and Play. M(Manuel) mode Is operated by remote control to On/Off, Start/Stop, Acceleration/Deceleration. A(Auto) mode is operated by the user’s footsteps to Start/Stop, Acceleration/Deceleration
- 🏃[Footstep Induction Speed Control]By the high Precision pressure sensor in the walking treadmill, you can control the in high, medium or slow speed, through footstep on the front(acceleration) zone, middle(uniform velocity) zone or tail (deceleration) zone.
- 🏃[Noise Free, Comfortable Fitness Experience]With the wear-resistant anti-slip walking belt, and the noise-reduction multilayer structure, you can walk or jog comfortably at home or office, without disturbing the work, entertainment or rest of the family, neighbors, colleagues or even yourself. Maximum weight: 220lbs.
- 🏃[Multiple security protection and visual walking data]With child lock protection, overload protection, automatic standby and novice speed limit function, you can use it with confidence.
Check this one out HERE!!
Egofit Walker Pro Smallest Under Desk Treadmill
From the website:
- SMALLEST and LIGHTEST designed under desk treadmill in the world! It comes fully assembled, space saving and invisible when not use. It is a walking treadmill while not in a common treadmill shape! It is the best companion for your exercise at the office or in a small apartment
- APP control available (beside the remote controller) so you can start off and adjust the speed at will with your mobile. It is essential for the design of this mini treadmill because you have so many jobs to care about and cannot always remember to store a remote in your pocket! The APP also helps record your exercise data.
- WHISPER QUIET is a big feature of this portable treadmill. The sound of the motor never exceeds 70DB, to ensure no disturbance breaks in your Work While Walking.
- SOLID BUILD is the basic requirement for all treadmills for the home. Egofit Walker Pro is 55LBS/25KGS in net weight while supporting 245LBS/110KGS Max user weight. It is light in weight as a portable treadmill while you can still feel solid when walking on this mini walker.
- UPGRADED from the 1st generation Egofit Walker to longer & wider belt as 16.5”X33.8”/42x86cm so it fits more people to enjoy the walking without the concern of stride out.
These have great health benefits and you are multitasking too.
With the Pandemic underlining the need to be healthy and have a healthier lifestyle, we can why their popularity is on the rise, To be honest it does make sense. Depending on your job, you could be working 12 hours or more a day, at times. If that job is sitting down and you rarely escape from the desk because of work pressure, you really need one of these. It may be a bigger outlay than you wanted at first but lets face it, you can’t put a price on your health!
Did this help you? Did you find it useful? If so, please share.
Comments and questions welcome.
12 thoughts on “What is a Treadmill Desk”
Hi. I never heard or see treadmill desk. But you article describes and give all necessary information. I like the way of how helpful this can to be, especially because can help with you health. You literally make exercise when you work, so you hit in same time two things. The office jobs is not easy, you sit all day, and this is good for busy office workers.
These have become quite common now Aleksandra. I think it was a natural step up from having a standing desk. The treadmills designed to go under desks are for walking while you work, which is a great idea as standing in the same position is not good for you either.
Thank you for your comments.
I don’t know if I could get all my work done walking at the same time, but this would certainly be worth the benefits. I have seen the desk that expands to standing height before and thought about getting one of those. This treadmill takes it to the next level. I would have to test it out before I made the purchase. I don’t know of any suppliers close to where I live, so I will have to research a littel more. Thanks for the write-up and introduction to the treadmill desk.
Thank you for your comments Rich.
Most people start off with the standing desk or they go for one where you can alternate standing and sitting. Once they have used a standing desk for a while it is then easier to get used to the idea of walking as you work.
Or using a different type of exerciser while at your desk.
This is the first time that I hear about treadmill desk! It’s so cool and I hope a lot of people can read this article, especially those who have sedentary lifestyles due to work at home schedules, so they can be informed that there is still a way to be active even if they’re working in front of their computer or laptop.
The momi foldable treadmill walking pad looks very interesting and space saver in my opinion. I would love to try it as a sta-at-home-mom who was difficulty using the indoor bike due to small kids running around. Maybe this can be a good replacement.
I am glad you found this post interesting Julai. I heard of them a few years ago and since then, especially with the Pandemic, they are more popular as so many more people are working from home,
I think you might find the little ones decide to ‘help’ and try and get on too. It can be very challenging to get things done with small children.
I do agree it is ideal as a space saver as it can be tucked away when not in use.
Thank you for your comments..
great review. You should definitely include Walkolution Treadmill Desks in your list. This is a very innovative German company. I have a treadmill like this myself. It has many advantages over the electric models. They are silent, use no electricity and look very good. The workmanship is also absolutely top notch. Here is the company’s website: walkolution.com
Thank you for your comment Robert. I will certainly have a look at that one when I do another blog on this subject in the future. This one certainly sounds like a more ecofriendly solution.
Hey Linda, great review! I own a WALK-i-TASK height adjustable treadmill desk that attaches directly to your treadmill allowing you to remove it when you want to run. Have you heard of these before? I think that its a phenomenal alternative for your followers that own a treadmill already! http://www.walkitask.com. Could be worth reviewing.
I have not heard of this one Chris, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Hi there, what are your thoughts on the WALK-i-TASK height adjustable desk that attaches to your treadmill. They definitely should be featured. Height adjustability is key so that you do not strain your neck or back! They DIY’s do not cut it.
Hi there, thank you for your interest in having your products on this website. I will check out your products.